Anyone who has ever visited a race track in Britain will know what the Tote is. Set up by the UK government in the 1920’s, the tote is a licensed pool betting product that was designed to be a safe alternative to the then illegal off-course bookmakers.
The tote, and it’s online website Totepool, was sold in 2011 and is now owned by Betfred. This means through Totesport you can access all of the exclusive totepool bets along with all the standard markets you would get from a fixed odds bookmaker. Must use bookie for anyone who bets regularly on racing.
Totesport Products and Promotions
For much of its life Totesport revolved exclusively around horse racing, and so it is no surprise that they have some great betting offers for the nags. They are also the official provider of Totepool bets, and whereas totepool bets are licensed to other bookies no one has the range that Totesport do, including exclusive jackpots and features.
They always come up with big promotions for the best meetings and biggest races – such as the Cheltenham Festival and Royal Ascot – including paying out on enhanced each way places, money back specials if your horse is beaten by a length or less, faller insurance and various other bonuses.
Since their merger with Betfred they also now have offers for all other sports, most regularly for big football matches or tournaments, such as money back offers if a match ends 0-0 or enhanced odds on first goalscorers.
- Lucky 15/31/63 Enhancements – Totesport has a fantastic range of multiple bets and to make things even more interesting they offer treble the odds if you hit just one winner in a Lucky 15, four times the odds for one winner in a Lucky 31 and five times the odds for one winner in a Lucky 63. As well as this if you pick an all-correct Lucky, Canadian, Heinz or Yankee from Super Bonus Races get 15% (Lucky 15 and Yankee), 50% (Lucky 31 and Canadian) and 100% (Lucky 63 and Heinz) bonus on your winnings. If you get an all correct Lucky in the Tote’s super bonus races you will get a 15%/50%/100% boost.
- Double Delight, Hat Trick Heaven – Originally a Betfred betting offer, Totesport have adopted it too for football, meaning that fans of first goalscorer/tryscorer bets could be handsomely rewarded: if your player scores first then gets a second at some point in the match Tote will double your odds, then they’ll triple them if your man gets a hat-trick or more (for Sky games). They also regularly run a Double Delight offer on rugby matches (on first tryscorer bets) and American football (for touchdown bets).
- Best Odds Guaranteed – You will not be surprised to see that Totesport offer Best Odds Guaranteed on all UK and Irish horse races (up to about 15 minutes before a race runs), meaning if you take a price and the SP is greater, they will pay out at the higher odds. Best odds are also guaranteed on Greyhound races broadcast on Sky Sports.
- Scoop6 – Totesport, under their Totepool guise, run a good number of pool bets, the daddy of which is their Scoop6 in which punters must pick the winner of six selected races. Pick all six and you will share the jackpot – and given it was recently over £10m, that could be quite an afternoon at the races!
- Money Back 2nd – Totesport love the money back 2nd (or confuse to the SP favourite, race depending) offer, each day get your money back as a free bet up to £25 if your horse finishes second in the selected race of the day. This offer often applies to other sports and big event such as the Tour de France.
- Faller / Length Insurance – Just like Betfred, Totesport also provide faller insurance for the jump season and beaten by a length or head (again race dependent) during the flat season.
- Totepool Betting – Place ToteWin, TotePlace, ToteEachWay, ToteDouble, ToteTreble, Totetrifecta, Toteexacta and Toteswinger single bets along with Totejackpot, scoop6, Toteplacepot and Totequadpot bets here. Enhanced jackpots compared to placing the same bets with other licences bookies.
Totesport began life after an Act of Parliament way back in 1928 as the Horserace Betting Control Board and the Totalisator Board, and it remained a state-owned entity until it was eventually sold off in 2011, as mentioned, to gambling giant Betfred.
With a strong history as a high street bookmaker (which they have now left behind them) and licenses to run pool betting at UK racecourses, there is a strong emphasis on horse racing with the Tote. But they have successfully branched out in recent years to cover other sports in great depth and with the increase in betting offers since their takeover, they are starting to win many new customers.
With their headquarters in Wigan in Greater Manchester, Totesport are regulated by the UK Gambling Commission and can therefore be fully trusted to adhere to all legislation in terms of fairness and data and financial security.
With a fantastic range of pool bets available – many of which give punters the chance to win massive fortunes – as well as very well-designed racecards that incorporate Racing Post form, spotlights and highlights, as well as all the racing specials, punters who like betting on the horses will love Totesport.
Initially Totesport lagged a little way behind some of their rivals in terms of technological advancements in sports betting. But with the financial clout and industry experience of Betfred behind them, the Tote has from strength to strength over the last few years and now offer streaming, cash out and all the other features you come to expect from modern online bookies.